US Open Golf FAQ
Below you will find a serious of FAQ concerning the US Open and its History.
When and where is the 2013 US Open being played?
The 2013 US Open will take place between June 13th-16th 2013 at Merion Golf Club in Ardmore (Pennsylvania).
Who won the US Open in 2012?
America's Webb Simspon was the 2012 Champion at the The Olympic Club.
When and where was the very first US Open played?
The first US Open was played in 1895 at the 9-hole Newport Golf and Country Club in Newport.
Who was the Winner of the First U.S. Open?
The first winner of the US Open Championship was a young 21-year-old Englishman called Horace Rawlins.
Which player(s) holds the record for most wins at the US Open?
Four golfers have each won the US Open a record four times:
- Willie Anderson: 1901, 1903, 1904, 1905
- Bobby Jones: 1923, 1926, 1929, 1930
- Ben Hogan: 1948, 1950, 1951, 1953
- Jack Nicklaus: 1962, 1967, 1972, 1980
Who is the oldest player to win the US Open?
Hale Irwin became the oldest player ever to win the US Open in 1990, aged 45 years and 15 days.
Who is the youngest player to win the US Open?
In 1911 John J. McDermott became the youngest US Open champion at 19 years, 10 months and 14 days old.
Which player has had the most top 10 finishes at the US Open?
The legendary Jack Nicklaus has finished in the top 10 a remarkable 18 times.
Best US Open Comeback?
Arnold Palmer fought his way back from an incredible 7 shots down to win the US Open in 1960
Which golf course has played host to the most US Opens?
The US Open is played on a different golf course each year. However, many courses have hosted the tournament on multiple occasions, including the Oakmont Country Club in Oakmont, which has hosted the US Open eight times; 1927, 1935, 1953, 1962, 1973, 1983, 1994 and 2007. The 2016 US Open will be played yet again at the Oakmount Country Club for the ninth time.
What is the 18-hole scoring record in a US Open?
Four separate players have achieved the impressive feat of scoring a single 18-hole round of 63. They are as follows:
- Vijay Singh: 2003 US Open at Olympia Fields
- Jack Nicklaus: 1980 US Open at Baltusrol
- Tom Weiskopf: 1980 US Open at Baltusrol
- Johnny Miller: 1973 US Open at Oakmont
What is the largest margin of victory in a US Open?
Tiger Woods won by a phenomenal 15 strokes at Pebble Beach in 2000.
Future US Open Sites
- 2013: Merion Golf Club, Ardmore, Pa.
- 2014: Pinehurst No. 2, Pinehurst, N.C.
- 2015: Chambers Bay, University Place, Wash.
- 2016: Oakmont Country Club, Oakmont, Pa.
- 2017: Erin Hills Golf Course, Erin Hills, Wisc.
- 2018: TBD
- 2019: Pebble Beach Golf Links, Pebble Beach, Calif.